7.01.2007

Pickled Beets

As I was surfing through my reader.google.com selections, I found a great article/entry on pickled beets on Tastespotting.. but when I clicked through to the original entry on Muffintop, I realized this is far too complicated, and also, one of the typical american ways of pickling (e.g., using pickling spices).

Now don't get me wrong, bread and butter pickles are one of my favorites (particularly those at Heaven on Seven), and the spices make all the difference... but I actually prefer my version of pickled beets, because I'm a total vinegar fiend and love the sweet and tart/sour combination of the recipe. Not to mention this is a recipe I stole from my mom and grandma, that I used to eat al the time in Italy as I grew up.

So here it is:
  • Wash and thoroughly dry the beets, and then begin placing on an aluminum foil-covered cookie sheet.
  • Bake until caramelized, which could be around one hour or so... the skin will begin to get wrinkly and some of the juice may start to come out in little clumpy spheres through some perforations of the skin.
  • Take out of oven and let cool completely. Proceed to peel and slice the beets, placing each slice inside a sterilized glass container.
  • Cover with red wine vinegar mixed with a little water (to prevent excessive tartness) and leave a couple of days in fridge before eating first slice...
  • Pure heaven as part of a summer dinner or accompanied by crunchy bread and sweet butter. mmm!

:o)

-J