2.08.2009

Book Review: The Graveyard Book


Today I finished reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I had heard gossip on the movie-related interwebs I peruse, about the possibility of there being a movie made based on this book. This, by the way, is the same author of the Coraline book that was just recently made into a movie. Coraline is also on my to-see/to-read list.

I must say that this book and the Twilight series are the only books I've read from the young adult section since 1989. Graveyard was not only well-written and flowed well, but was smart, entertaining, and kept you interested in turning that page.

The story entails the travails of young Nobody Owens, who miraculously survived the murder of his family, and who was raised by the ghosts of the nearby graveyard. His adoptive family and friends are all deceased, ghosts, who inhabit the graveyard. They all work together to assure Bod's wellbeing and lessons. All are focused on not only keeping young Bod safe, but teaching him about the living and the magic of the dead.

It's a lovely, non-morbid story (some may disagree with this statement due to the subject matter), and a very intelligent little book all around. The major characters are the boy, a werewolf, a vampire, and lots of ghosts. Plus there's also a group of criminals who are searching for young Bod--to finish what they'd started with the murder of his parents and older sister years before.

It was a fun trip with very likeable characters, and enough mysticism and occultims to make me interested. Glad to have read it!

Disclaimer: I'm an Amazon Associate and if you click on the right-hand top corner you can access my aStore.