2.18.2009

Whirlwind update

Well, I'm almost exhausted half to death, but not, just quite yet! Just came back last night from a business trip in Dallas, TX. It was a dinner and day-long meeting where I had to keep tabs of volunteers, hotel shuttles, meeting arrangements, and which project was being talked about and what decisions were being taken and by who. Yeah, it sounds easier than it actually is when there's five other people talking to you or at each other in the same room, and at the same time. Trust me.

The best part was... it wasn't really Dallas Ft. Worth proper, but rather, nearby Grapevine, TX. I had no idea why Grapevine was called what it was, until we took a drive with the hotel van driver downtown and realized they like their adult beverages in Grapevine. It's a cute little historical-looking place, but I certainly wouldn't want to stay there for too long...it's too dry in Texas. I'll rather take Houston and its nearby neighbor Galveston anyday! Now, if I *had* to be in Dallas, but was closer to the Texas Speedway, now that's a whole other story! ^_^

As I had some waiting to do at the airport and on the plane rides to and from, I enjoyed three great pieces of entertainment: The Spiderwick Chronicles (ok movie, too many special effects, and the kid from Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory playing twins), Donnie Darko (very interesting movie, plus, two Gyllenhaals for the price of one!), and James Lipton's book Inside Inside (about Inside the Actors Studio). I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Donnie Darko because of the irrelevant trippiness of it all. I was piqued by recent rumors that a sequel or prequel is being discussed. I hope they go through with it, I could definitely see more of this. And finally, James Lipton's book. What a fascinating individual, what an amazing panache for storytelling, what a host. And what a book! So much rich material about behavior, vocation, and of course, lots and lots of hard work and practice. Truly a captivating read. I can't wait to see how it ends, and I'm giving myself until Sunday to finish reading it...we'll see if I manage.