7.23.2009

Benny's Gone

My husband accidentally let go of the dog leash and now Benny has been gone 24 hours, as of 1 hour ago.

I am researching GPS pet tracking, because that microchipping bullshit that they keep pressing on people does shit for finding a lost dog. Shit.

I know what I'm talking about. I searched 3 hours until 1:30 am yesterday, then again from 5ish until the rest of the day. I was going almost door to door, and parking lot to parking lot. I have mosquito bites the size of halved golf balls.

Back to the pet GPS. The first step in my search is always a super generic Google search, in this case for "pet GPS." Otherwise, I can search Amazon.com for the same products that sound interesting and this way I obtain a new perspective and additional information.

This page helped me orient myself to the general world of pet GPS devices. From Google and Amazon, I found the following results of particular interest:
  • Petsafe - 4.2 oz, 4-5 day battery life with Internet tracking. Cost of $99.99 for GPS. The service plan is $16.58 a mth ($199/year) OR $19.99 a mth ($239.88/year)
  • Zoombak - 2.5 oz, 5 day battery life of collar piece with Internet tracking. Cost of $70 for GPS. The service plan is $9.99 ($29.97 for the first 3 mths, then $14.99 a mth), $14.99 ($164.88 a yr), OR $154.99 per one year.
  • DogTracs - 2 oz, 5-6 day battery life of collar piece with Internet tracking. Cost of $219.98 for GPS and 1st year of svce (easy pay available for 3 payments of $74.98) OR an annual service plan at $149.99.
  • RoamEO - 6 oz (the heaviest), only 10 hour battery life of collar piece with handheld device. Cost of $499 plus $69/per annum service plan. [Expensive and stupidly lowbattery life. Waste of dough.]
  • Garmin Astro - 6.5 oz, 24 hour battery life of collar piece. Cost of $599.99 for GPS. [Way expensive and stupidly low battery life. Meant to be used by hubters, in dog's proximity, and thus, not good for lost dogs. A waste of dough.]