7.02.2009

Hard Work and Pride

I attended the NLU Writer's Week workshop series of four sessions last week. I received very valuable feedback, as did all the other participants, on the work samples we submitted in relation to the workshop leader's expertise or topic. I sadly had to miss the afternoon session on Saturday, as I opted to spend some quality time with my significant-other unit at the Taste of Chicago. We had had little time due to work and my school commitments in the prior week, and so we decided to play hookie and hang out together at the Taste. We had a great time. The weather was spectacular summer hot.

The best part of all, however, turned up Tuesday evening, when the workshop leader (Tim Kazurinsky, a.k.a., Sweetchuck, of Police Academy fame) for the Saturday afternoon sent me an email letting me know that everyone at the workshop, and he included, enjoyed the submission I had provided. He also provided detailed suggestions for its improvement. Which I will work on and save the file for future reference.

Since the submission was a post in this blog, back in February, I've opted to save his commentary/feedback as a comment to that post.

I'm just really happy that I received all around positive feedback on my work during the workshop, because the session leaders are esteemed and successful writers on their own, and their appreciation and encouragement comes at a really good time for me, as I'm just starting to figure out some long-term paths that I may be interested in.

Last night was my first Women in Literature class for the term, which I'm very much looking forward to. Never mind the one hour commute to and fro ;o)

I was a little set back by the type of interaction the women (and one guy!) in the class engaged in. Why is it people's behavior sometimes make me feel like a martian in their mist? I notice a difference between downtown/near downtown individuals' attitudes from individuals in the suburbs. The downtown individuals particular to my class, last night, were a little self righteous and bitter. I hope that this amalgamous attitude doesn't rub off, I fear it may alter my creativity in a negative way. The professor, who is also my advisor and the program chair, is awonderful person who has a lot to share about the excellent writers we're studying during this course. I'm especially fond of one of the writers' (Sylvia Plath) personal life which I discovered through a quiz in Facebook (!) and look forward to expanding my knowledge of her life, times, and works.

Here's to good reading!