9.02.2009

Reading Days

Reading is fun. Unless I'm editing boring books at work like one on accounting and another one which has a gazillion typos because the authors didn't bother finishing a complete camera-ready draft before sending it in to us for editing and layout.

For my Women in Literature course I did a lot of speed reading. I was very taken by Sylvia Plath, and haven't really been able to shake off my interest in her thus far. I bought a 2009 biography of her (simply Sylvia Plath) which I found brilliant because of the author's foreword, clarifying some major areas in Sylvia Plath's life. I just finished reading it, and I'm very pleased that I ran into this book.

Just to recap, Sylvia Plath is considered one of the best poets and prolific writers in American literary history. Alas, Sylvia suffered from bipolar disorder, which was aggravated by associating herself with the wrong type of men, and an overachieving streak, which led her to get into overly complicated situations that emotionally overwhelmed her. She finally took her life just as she entered in her 30th decade.

I find reading about eccentric creative people rewarding in so many ways. It's one of my favorite topics. In this same vein, I recently acquired a book that had been languishing in my Amazon wish list for about a year. It's titled "Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament."

Right. For now, I gotta go back to watching Perfect Stranger on FX -- intriguing, mindless entertainment ;)