4.15.2010

Self-Monitoring and Social Dominance Preference

So as I'm reading for my advanced social psychology course homework I come across two intensely fascinating subjects for me: self-monitoring (editing your thoughts and behavior to look good to others) and social dominance theory (social hierarchy for order and productivity--with a possible trend towards discrimination and bias).

So I found there's an online test (of course! my favorite!) to gauge your self-monitoring levels. It turns out I rank 53/100, which is smack dab in the middle of high self monitoring and low self monitoring.

Alas there's no quiz for the social dominance, but the link I included above includes a six question test to identify (via yes or no) which side of the spectrum you belong in. Not surprisingly, the social dominance range also identifies political affiliation--the higher the social dominance in an individual, the more likely you are a conservative politically.