5.21.2010

My New Social Science Resource: Psychology Today

Psychology Today is one of my most recent and favorite reading discoveries online. It's like when I discovered TED back in...oh...probably 2007 or 2008.

There's so many great articles/blog posts, that I wish I could link to all of them here, but I think the best thing  to do is just link to the Psyhcology Today twitter page, which highlights their best ones.

For example, one of the articles that really got me happy I read it is titled "When Meaningful Conicidences are Just Plain Mean" which entails basically a concept thats' worried me...those unusual meaningful conicidences or serendipity. I've now come to realize (like I used to several years ago) that the meaning behind supposed coincidences is just one person's view of the event rather than the true meaning or reason for the event. The article helped me learn that this is actually more of a Jungian concept so I'll do some reasearch on his writings about the topic to learn more about his perspective.

Another really great article is titled "Money Can Buy Happiness, If You Spent It Right" which basically posits that smaller periodical expenditures on experiential treats (a concert, a play, scuba diving classes, a spa day with a friend/relative) pay off much better on the happiness and satisfaction scale than large, sporadic expenditures on experiential or non-experiential (best seats at one really great concert, shopping spree, a new car, a new techie toy) events/things.

Finally, the third article I want to share that I really liked, is titled "Rebuilding Maslow's Pyramid On an Evolutionary Foundation." I was a little peeved that the evolutionary aspect discussed in this article centered around mating and parenting, because, although the article tries hard to update the Maslow pyramid to today's, changed social environment...we all know modern life expands within and outside mating and parenting. It's a little cliched to think that mating and parenting are a standard life landmark--kinda 50s-ish no? However, it was very informative learning about this new perspective--however well-accepted or not it may be in the larger academic and psychological realm.

I think I found in Psychology Today, another great resource for social science information.