6.16.2010

It's Almost Summer! Can you Feel It?

It's Summer next week--June 20-21 to be a little bit more exact. Though the weather's been anything but summery lately, definitely confused about the severe rain storms and obliteratingly bright sunshine that pop up in alternation.

So how's your summer planning going? Better watch out, it'll be flying past you before you know it!

I think there's three main things I always try to watch for during summer. This is part of my "staying connected with the now" project and making sure I enjoy some R&R in-between all the other stuff I get busy with.
  1. Read something that ignites me: fiction, a self-help, nonfiction, a how-to, even a cookbook or magazine!
  2. Finish a project you've been trying to avoid/proctastinate on/has taken forever to come around.
  3. Start brainstorming on your next project.
What kind of projects do #2 and 3 focus on? It could be anything at all. Something at work, something personal like a class or a honey-do list item, even something for a family member or kids.

It could even just be a project to stay more in tune with the happenings around your area. For me, for example, I'm trying to keep in tune with any and all open theater and music events in my local area this summer. I found a Shakespeare troupe nearby that I most definitely want to go see!

I'm also trying to spend a couple of Saturdays entertaining my mom. I already took her one Saturday to our new favorite breakfast place, Pomegranate Cafe, and then a few hours round the Morton Arboretum. We went into the main building so I could show her the facilities and the store--she really liked the store and I found a great amber drops and silver bracelet I had to get. I made sure to point out all my favorite stops--including a walk through Thornhill Center and the Founder's Library room therein to see the stained glass featuring famous trees--during our drive through, in particular making a point of showing her the Tobin root sculptures throughout the main building grounds. She is still enthused about the day as she recounts it to my grandmama and dad whenever probed.

On a recent Saturday I took her to Geneva Commons, a newish and rather posh outdoor shopping center. Highly recommended if you haven't been! We enjoyed an amazing fish and chips lunch at the local pub first (Claddagh Irish Pub also highly recommended!). The retail therapy at Crate and Barrel and William Sonoma assured good times! So now I have to come up with the next great outing! No pressure hehe

Another of my to-dos for fun and relaxation is scoping out free or paid concerts nearby. We've been to Ravinia and two other indoor music concerts so far, with Aurora Downtown Alive Blues Fest happening this weekend, and a Morton Arboretum concert (Huey Lewis & The News) in July.

How's your late spring and early summer going? I hope you get lots done and also, lots of fun in!