8.11.2010

Dramatic Scene 2.0 - Like Sand, Blowing

My professor really liked my first dramatic scene. So much so that she urged me, with quite some emphasis, to write another for my final project in our oral history class.

So she asked I look for another story in Hard Times by Studs Turkel, but this time a woman's story. Once I found a story I liked, I should write a dramatic scene, but in screenplay format.

The professor even went out of her way to provide me with a photocopy of a short screenplay she had on hand. She wanted to help me better understand the formatting.

So I began to look through the Hard Times book that same night, searching, a little desperately, for a woman's story that would strike my creative chord. I thought I was done for. I found it easier to look at men's stories with some interest. Back then, women were not so lively or interesting (I thought) as after the feminist revolution of the 60s. What was I in for?

I luckily found two stories that helped me find a lifeline. Emil Lorik and Ruth Lorik were interviewed by Studs Turkel, and, one sentence in particular from Ruth's interview struck me. Something about how the banks ended up taking the farm animals away from neighbors of theirs. Talk about driving someone to despair. As if things weren't bad enough, farmers are left without animals--their bread and butter.

So here's the Google Documents link to Like Sand, Blowing. My little screenplay I developed around a dramatic scene that was inspired by the Loriks' oral history of the Depression. Nothing fancy, and perhaps, overly dramatic in a really bad way. Yet there it is, warts and all.

Let's hope the professor's written feedback is as kind as her oral feedback earlier tonight during class! My classmates had a few laughs reading this, each acting out one of the five characters in the story.

Good times.