9.01.2010

Russian Violin

I've been remiss in researching more about what I call Russian violin, but in essence, is folk fiddle.

Now, I don't want a Greek type fiddle particularly, though I do like Greek folk music as well--particularly on my visits to Greek restaurants. I am specifically looking for Eastern European fiddle.

I'm sure folks would look at me like, what the heck is wrong with you and what on earth is the difference between a Greek fiddle and an Eastern European fiddle. However, I can tell you that my ear is somehow more drawn to the Eastern European and Turkish style ones--even though I don't know much about this type of music to save my life.


Today, as I was listening to Pandora, I thought, why not give it a whirl and see what happens. It wasn't that easy, of course. Unless you have a song name or a particular artist/group, Pandora won't be able to help you. So after researching a number of potential items on wiki, I found an entry for L─âutari, a kind of Romanian clan musician.

Miracle of miracles, when I began searching on Pandora for the first name at the end of the article, Taraf de Haidouks, I found a great little eclectic gypsy style channel in Pandora. It's not exactly all old style fiddle/strings,  but I think I can train the station via the thumbs up and thumbs down buttons.

Here's a link to the resulting station.