1.26.2011

An Open Sandwich Update

Ever since I read Tieg Larsson's Millennium book trilogy I've been enamored by open-faced sandwiches. I've a number of prior posts on this new-found hobby of sorts...

I've tried a number of little experiments in open-sandwiches, and the learning curve is improving daily--via articles and other readings, cook book consultations, and experimentation.

My lab, er, kitchen is now home to a number of staples that make my experimentation so much easier:

  • European butter
  • rye crackers
  • German rye "health" bread
  • rye bread cartons from IKEA -- can't wait to try these!
  • mayonnaise
  • whole grain mustard
  • pickled beets
  • cheese from IKEA
  • rosti from IKEA
  • butter lettuce
  • alfalfa sprouts -- they start smelling off quite quickly tho :o(
  • orange and elderflower marmalade from IKEA
  • Smoked salmon
  • assorted lemons and limes
  • tinned herrings, kipper snacks, sardines (oil and water)
  • Nutella
  • swirl/marble rye bread from the grocer's bakery
  • Tuscan bread from Labriola
And essentially, the list goes on, depending on what strikes my fancy.

One of my favorite discoveries recently was kipper snack open sandwiches topped by a mayonnaise, ketchup, and sriracha mixture. Absolutely to die for. This could very well make for some awesome onigiri and sushi roll filling as well! *make mental note*

A dessert-type favorite right now is a cracker topped by lettuce, a slice of cheese, and a smear of sour orange marmalade. Love it.

In essence, I think I can draw together my love for the Scandinavian open-sandwich and the Japanese bento box philosophies to find out why I'm so captivated by this little hobby lately. Best of all, the portions are smallish and well-balanced (nutrients wise) as to not make a negative impact on the waist line.

Hurray for foodie experimentation!