1.20.2011

Something Smells Rotten in the State of...

I just came to a really interesting conclusion. I don't like drinking coffee beverages in shopping centers.

The reason is purely olfactory. Though all my senses are actually involved.

In the mall, the temperature, noise, and other factors tend to interfere with my full sensory participation in what I'm drinking.

Is it getting hot in here?
It's a crowded society, so deal with it kid. Sure, sure. But still. You'd be amazed what you're missing when too many of your senses are being engaged elsewhere.

The ears are busy tuning out shrieks, laughs, noises, and tangled strings of conversation. The eyes are busy scanning the seating area, your table, else your path as you walk away--deciphering the potential tripping dangers ahead, or pedestrian traffic to be circumvented.

Hermetically sealed
The neatly capped takeaway cup really discloses none of the secrets of the hot concoction your hands are wrapped around. You only take away the warmth from the touch of your skin against the cup exterior. And even then, what warmth emanates may be somewhat stifled by a cup sleeve. Watch out for the possible paper cut too...

I didn't realize how much I was missing until I brought my cup of brewed, liquid joy back to my office today. A few minutes after settling the cup down on the desk, a potent aroma expanded through my office space. An invisible, toasty goodness spread everywhere.

I stopped what I was doing and looked around to the hermetically unperturbed cup. The aroma was almost overwhelming. It, like the unexpected but overwhelming waft of cologne as you pass a stranger in the street in the morning.

It's only a Mocha
Yes, but $5.56 is a lot to be paying for some coffee, water, soy milk, and chocolate.

I'm assuming that the beverage took its time to be brewed by the expert barista, because quality is of utmost importance to the company. It comes down to standards.

The ingredients and recipe must be followed patiently, taking one's time, in order to provide an optimum-tasting, consistent product to each customer. One mocha at any of the company's stores should taste the same. It should taste like it was cared after, for the customer.

Undressing the experience
So I uncapped the takeaway cup sitting on my desk. Slipped off the cup sleeve. Holding the cup in my hands, I peeked inside. The warmth emanated through the sides of the cup onto my skin.

The aroma was free to disperse upward and outward. I took a deep breath and inhaled as much of it in as I could. There were notes of spices, chocolate, and the coffee. Cinnamon. These olfactory particles mingled and danced, interwoven.

Experiences are always better when they're fully and truly immersive, explored, and experienced.

Cheers.