6.22.2011

TV Watching, Of a Sort

I've been catching up with one of my all-time favorite television shows, The Adventures/Return of Sherlock Holmes.

I was glued to the television at 11 pm every Monday the summer of 1989 watching this show. Sometimes with my mom, sometimes with myself. This was in Mexico, and I had to tune in the right channel on the satellite, which was no easy feat the first few times.

The show always held an immense fascination. I used to feel a connection with the feel of the show, and the two lead characters, Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. Of course, I have to admit that a part of that affinity was due to a shared last name with Sherlock, after all, my mother's maiden name is Holmes.

However, as the years passed, I maintained my fond memories of early watching, and longed for the occasional episode on Mystery.

I recently had a strong urge to catch up with the entire series, which I procured without major difficulty. It's been a wonderful experience being able to go through each of the episodes. Some of which I don't recall and may have missed from the original series showing back in the day.

I'm already at season five, and there's only a handful of episodes until the end of season 7, which marks the conclusion of the television series.

Now that I'm older, I've an amazing understanding of the subtleties that Jeremy Brett's portrayal brings the character. He's truly, like many before me have said, the definitive Sherlock Holmes.

His twitchy and impatient reactions when in thought or thinking ahead to his next step, the morose then manic behavior (which in a sense reflects Brett's own troubles), and his spectacular grace when unveiling or unraveling the clues to allow us all to catch up to his speedy intellect.

And Watson, the always loyal, always cheery friend and emotional pillar--a role that ended up being portrayed by two wonderful actors through the run of the series. Lovely representation of what a true friend should and can be. His own character subtly present at times, and much more up front in others, allows for ebbs and flows in his persona and with each we learn a little more about what drives him.

And of course, the era is so spectacularly represented in this series. It's like we've actually gone back in time to observe matters as they once were. I never cease to stare, ogle, and study each of the horse-drawn cabs and carriages. I absorb every detail.

It's a television show that keeps on giving, no matter how much time has passed, or how many times you view it--each time there's something new to become absorbed in.