6.25.2012

Experimenting with My Perception of a Customer

I read a great little article on Inc. titled "9 Beliefs of Remarkably Successful People" by Jeff Haden. I usually hate list-themed articles, but this was a valuable article. It made me stop and think.

The first point that made me stop and think was #2: The people around me are the people I chose. I was going to retort saying that where I work, I have to be around the people my company and my superiors chose, and not the people I chose. Which is true. But that brings me to something else: the people my superiors and company chose to associate with says a lot about the professional, company, and cultural values they hold.

The second point that made me stop and think was #8: People who pay me always have the right to tell me what to do. The customer is always right, and you only get to pick what you want when you want when you're on your time off. If that even exists anymore. Your boss, your boss's boss, and the people they make you work with internally and externally are all your customers. Customers aren't always nice to employees. Employee perception of how they should be treated and how they are actually treated may be two completely different things.

Mind who you associate with, and mind who your company/superiors associate with. But remember that your comfort zone shouldn't become a jail where you don't grow much personally or professionally. Also, don't be naive thinking that nirvana is just around the next corner--too many short-term job changes look bad on your long-term resume.