2.17.2013

Smoothies

I've been making smoothies every Sunday for my breakfast during the week. I put kale, apple, banana, pear, ginger, a drizzle of maple syrup, and lemon juice with about two cups of water in my Vitamix blender and see it all swirl into delicious, fresh oblivion. MMM lovely.

I consider a serving a 16 ounce wide-mouth mason jar. I place these mason jars in the fridge and just grab one in the morning. I even bought sipping lids that fit on top of the mason jars and inside the ring (by Cuppow).

These green smoothies are a great energizing sort of meal starter or meal replacement  after one or two tall glasses of water first thing in the morning. Sometimes, the fiber leaves me full enough that I don't need to eat anything else until lunch time. Then just follow up with double matcha green tea and raw honey. Warming and comforting, like a blanket, on a chilly winter's day.

A great treat smoothie that I like to make features banana, almond milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Delish! But you have to make sure the bananas are ripe, or they'll make the smoothie tastes a little "green." You could even freeze this a little so it's more like soft serve or an icee.

I've been off alcohol since the beginning of January, but you could probably add some sweet marsala wine to this banana smoothie and turn it into a spectacular happy hour treat.

I grew up loving apple and banana smoothies that my maternal grandma used to make, I just love em. They're both comforting and energizing.