3.15.2013

Habemus Papam

It's been quite the whirlwind first quarter for one of the staunchest, least-changing religions in our world: we lost a Pope when he quit after 8-9 years, and got the first ever Pope from the American continent to replace him in a span of weeks. We're breaking lots of ground and tradition here.

I couldn't help but think of the old joke "do as I say, not as I do" since that's quite a bit of change--yet forget bringing up women priests or gay marriage. God forbid...

I've read a lot of articles over the past 24 hours about the transition and about Pope Francis. He's starting to grow on me.

What I like about him is a sense of kindness and honesty. Someone who chooses an outcast as St. Francis of Assisi as his namesake is definitely making a statement. When he went to his hotel room to collect his belongings he made a point to pay to make a good example.

On the BBC website I read that, in 2012 in Argentina, he made a point of chastising those who rejected baptisms of children of unwed mothers. I've looked at various photos and realized he's chosen a sterling silver crucifix rather than the usual gold one. That's quite a lot of statements there through action rather than words.

We'll see if he gets to clean up the corrupt Vatican system--which elected him--during his tenure. Many secular news sources are pondering the idea, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I do look forward to hearing more of what he has to say, and seeing more of his good deeds. His people really need a kind and loving father figure/figure head to lead them into a much more peaceful co-existence with one another.

Let's watch together and see what happens. Benvenuto Papa Francesco. A presto.