8.28.2013

Reading: Red Dragon

My second book on Audible is a fiction book titled Red Dragon, by Thomas Harris and read by Alan Sklar.

I was a huge fan of the Silence of the Lambs movie when it came out in the early 1990s, and have been trying to work up the nerve to watch all the movies in the series--which I think I may have by now. I figured I should read the books as well, since the story and characters in each of the films is so compelling, different, and entertaining--well, at least to me.

I also picked a fiction book because I really did not enjoy the last non-fiction book I heard, Wheat Belly, and needed something completely different.

It's a bonus that Red Dragon features investigators and crimes/crime scenes, since that's another genre that I appreciate in television, video game, and film, but haven't really read much of it in books, as of yet.

I just started the book on Monday, while commuting to and from work, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit already. Although, the narrator sometimes reads some of the dialogue with the wrong intonation for particular phrases, and some of his accents for some Southern characters is a little far fetched, it's not too terribly distracting from the story. Well, most of the time, anyway.

I really like how Thomas Harris takes mini detours into interesting background information and descriptions, while not losing the main thread of the story--or losing the reader. He gives enough detail to paint a little bit of a fuller picture in the mind of the reader, as the plot progresses, but leaves a lot to the imagination as well.