11.22.2013

Reading Update

All right. The biggest shocker in The Lost Symbol is that Robert Langdon *does not* sleep with the heroine.

Now that I completed that book, phew, I've moved on to a non-fiction piece. I tend to enjoy non-fiction much more than fiction anymore.

I'm currently listening to the Audible/audiobook for "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief" by Lawrence Wright. I've always been curious about Ron L. Hubbard and Scientology ever since I spotted the earmarked and well-read copy of Dianetics on my mom's bedside table when I was a kid.

When I heard about this book, just this week, I knew the time had come to start reading up about Scientology in some way, shape, or form.

Is the coverage in this book negative or objective? This book is a good general overview, but while the author did a bit of interviewing and reading/research, he clearly exhibits a rather negative tone and perspective towards "The Church" and its founder.

It's a fascinating book thus far because Hubbard, in his early years, dabbled in the military, black magic, womanizing, and mental illness. I particularly like the  post-war mental illness angle, and discussion of social mores and social roles during the 1950s-1970s and their impact on Hubbard's mental health.

I look forward to seeing on what note the author chooses to conclude the book.