12.13.2013

Reading Update

I just finished listening to the Audible audio-book of Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright. It was a fascinating, if a little subjectively negative approach to the religion of Scientology.

I enjoyed learning the history of the religion as well as some of its tenets and organizational processes. I was surprised to learn that Clearwater and Tampa Florida are two of its national "epicenters," with the other major one being California.

I disliked the skewering of character and church individuals by the author and by church dissidents, and some of the church's own harsh and relentless attacks towards church dissidents.

My Audible Queue
This is a great book if you are interested in reading about the complex psychological and emotional needs of people in leadership roles, and those who pursue religions in a fanatical way. It's scary how absolute people's surrender can be when it comes to following individuals in a position of authority, or towards a religion's tenets. Especially, when an outsider can clearly see logical and safety flaws in some of the traditions and processes.

With this book under my belt, finally, I'm hoping to move to something a little less creepy and emotionally involved.

I'm now very much looking forward to finishing listening to Stone's Fall by Ian Pears, it's a drudgery of a long book, which favors melodrama and the suspense created by slowly revealed plot points over a solid plot and story narrative.

Next on my reading/listening queue will be The Mystical Kabbalah by Rabbi David Cooper.