12.20.2013

Red Tailed Hawks

There are many red-tailed hawks in the area I work, live, and commute through. It's probably due to the abundance of forests and other green spaces. This makes for a few great sightings during day-to-day commutes.

One of my favorite pastimes during my morning commute on the highway is to count how many red-tailed
let sleeping hawks lie
hawks I see, resting or aflight, near the many light poles bordering the highway.

On some days there have been twenty birds on just over 17 miles of roadway during my commute. It brings a huge smile to my face when I see quite a few, like that.

These birds of pray are gracious and fluid in their movements. When they sit still or take a nap they look like sentries, ever watchful.

Their coloring is a light tan looking, very feathery belly or a sandy/dark brown splotch against the bright skies.

neighborly hawk
Over the summer there were a couple of red-tailed hawks that stalked our street. They often took rest and squawked away as they sat over the
rooftop and gutter of the townhouse in front of ours.

They are quite noisy when they want to be, but I felt their being there was a treat. I wondered whether they were trying to tell us something, since that house they were resting over had been unlived in for almost a year.

I certainly wouldn't have minded it, if they were looking for squatters' rights.

It's neat seeing these hawks soaring through bright skies and in-between dark leafed trees when the warmer months are around. I sometimes see a couple of hawks by our house do a little tag-team hunting among wintry chilled and bare woods, while I walk my dog.

The first time I learned about the red-tailed hawk prevalence in our area was when I visited the Phillips Park Zoo in Aurora, Illinois, in September of 2009. That's probably when I started paying more attention at what wildlife lived near where I lived.
no pictures please, Phillips Zoo hawk

That guy at the Zoo was not very happy. He must have had to sit through having his photo taken by all the tourists going by that day. So he made sure to turn away for privacy when it was my turn in front of his cage.

I look forward to many more sightings of wild and free red-tailed hawks on the days to come. :o)