12.16.2013

Things I Like About Winter

I suffer during Chicago winters, both physically and emotionally, so I decided to delay that blue attitude for now and instead just look at the positives.
winter scene at Morton Arboretum

Here's my list of things that I really like or that I'm thankful for during the Chicagoland winter, which for me lasts, contrary to typical seasonal convention (December 21 to March 21), from late November into early May:
  • warm spaces
  • the car's heater
  • wool blend socks to keep my feet dry and warm
  • sturdy boots to keep my steps steady through slush, salt, snow, ice, black ice, and more
  • Mexican hot chocolate, Italian hot chocolate, and chili hot chocolate -- square marshmallows are a plus
  • homemade whipped cream
  • shepherd's pies
  • large cups of hot tea with lemon
  • long sleeve layers of clothing
  • my thick and bulky "Eskimo" winter coat
  • hot cider with cinnamon and nutmeg
  • mashed potatoes
  • cheesy pasta bakes with fresh buffalo mozzarella and San Marzano canned tomatoes
  • onion soup with a thick, cheesy french bread crust
  • Panera bread soups and crunchy bread
  • wool blend shawl-scarves
  • television series on Netflix and Amazon Instant
  • YouTube LP videos
  • Lush or Hugo's Naturals bath bombs in hot, candlelit evening baths while listening to ambient music
  • a warm and fuzzy bathrobe
  • warm hoodies that don't shrink in the wash/dry cycle
  • huge fluffy house socks
  • trips to somewhere warm
  • clean, soft cotton underwear and long sleeve tees
  • Pinterest cozy winter theme boards
  • my snuggly furry buddy
  • driving through the winter landscape at the Morton Arboretum