I examined the URL (http://www.birthdayalarm.com/name) and noticed it was from Birthday Alarm, a service I use to keep updated via e-mail whenever friends and family's birthdays and anniversaries are popping up soon.
Well, they're right. Just as the wording on the page said, this is addicting!
So then I started thinking...what could make a name become so popular from the 60s onward? I figured it might have been because of a character in a popular movie or television series. According to IMDb, there are 82 entries for the name Jessica as a character. Some of the ones that stick out the most in my mind are:
- Jessica Brennan, from the soap One Life To Live (1969)
- Jessica Van Helsing, from The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
- Jessica 6, from Logan's Run (1976)
- Jessica Marbles, from Murder by Death (1976)
- Jessica Tate, from Soap (1977)
- Lady Jessica Atreides, from Dune (1984)
- Jessica Fletcher, from Murder She Wrote (1984)
- Jessica, from The Bold and the Beautiful (1987)
I'm not sure what it could have been...maybe there was a famous person w the name and everyone wanted to use it for their baby girls. Who knows.
My mom was actually going to name me Samantha, but another baby born about a week before me w that name died shortly after being born. Therefore, due to some very non-characteristic superstitiousness, voilá, I was forever monickered this way.
My wife & I named our daughter Samantha. The nurses at the hospital all mentioned it's a name they hadn't heard in awhile.
ReplyDeleteOne of my ex-girlfriends happened to get her name because her mom happened to hear Barry Manilow on the radio on the way to the hospital. Thus she was named Mandy.... I s'pose it could have been worse. I mean if her mom had heard Copacabana on the radio instead she might have ended up as "Lola."
Why, I think Lola is a also lovely name! :)
ReplyDelete"Now I'm not the world's most innocent man
ReplyDeleteBut I don't understand
Why she walked like a woman
and talked like a man
She's my Lola
El-oh-el-ay Lola..."
other than that song, absolutely nothing wrong with the name Lola. ;-)
I knew I forgot a famous Jessica: Jessica Rabbit.
ReplyDelete