How Stuff Works posted a list of the best places families can live in the US. Some of the surprises for me, on this list, were:
- Minneapolis, MN - I didn't know it was so highly rated, I really must visit sometime. That whole region of the US gets way too harsh a rep because of their winters.
- San Francisco, CA - with a history (I was going to write hysteria) of overly expensive real estate, I would have thought this wouldn't be that good a place...then again, high-income families make for well-funded school districts--and great dining and shopping areas!
- Albuquerque, NM - I really need to visit New Mexico, I shouldn't have been surprised this city made the list. It's such a cultural melting pot of exciting events, wonderful artists, and delicious cuisine.
- Fishers, IN - hardly does an "up and coming" bedroom community, a good community make. The term indicates money and other daytime activities are being spent/taking place elsewhere. Not sure about this place.
As a parent my priorities have certainly changed from what they were when I was single or even married before my daughter came along. My answer has likely changed due to the change in life circumstances. I'd say a general sense of safety and security rank highly. Parents generally want to live in an area where they feel safe, like they don't have to worry about their kids hanging out with the wrong kids in the neighborhood, where they don't necessarily have to lock their door at night. Also good schools come into play in a major way. We want the best possible education for our children.
ReplyDeleteI agree, safety and stability of a city or neighborhood is of utmost importance for families with children. The school districts esteem and longevity are also of high importance.
ReplyDeleteSome individuals also look for these qualities for resale value of their homes--I'm not as fond of these "flippers," however.