Dang it. It's getting near into oatmeal weather. That thick, Irish/Scottish type, which takes at least 30 minutes to cook. Not the yucky, fake, flaky stuff that flies everywhere as you're pouring hot water on it.
For some reason I decided to look up what's considered a proper breakfast in Scotland. I have an infatuation with Scotland. And it's no surprise their breakfast is quite meat intensive: white pudding, sausage, black pudding, haggis. Why do they say Americans eat too much meat, ever see what the other side of the pond slops on their breakfast plates? They use suet!
It all actually does look quite delicious, however. Particularly oatcakes. I may try to make some, but the potato (or tattie) scone sounds even better, almost like huge gnocchi ^_^ I'm sure it rivals Cracker Barrel's famous biscuits.
There was a funny quip and exchange over oats, that I wanted to quote because it had me giggling:
"Samuel Johnson referred, disparagingly, to this staple diet in his dictionary definition for oats:
A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.
Lord Elibank was said by Sir Walter Scott to have retorted
Yes, and where else will you see such horses and such men?."
I learned about Samuel Johnson's dictionary in one of my writing classes, probably Rhetorical Theory, which covered a lot of the classics in passing. Of course, men who wear woolen, knee-length skirts in such cold weather need to be admired for that alone. ^_^
Good times. I better take out my magic can of Scottish oats from the pantry, and start creating something delicious for these cooler mornings!
I too have a somewhat inexplicable fascination with Scotland. I'd much rather celebrate St. Andrew's Day than St. Patrick's Day (I find Scottish beer to be better than Irish beer... and dare I say even better than German beer). I believe they do Highland Games in Oak Brook (at the Country Club just off 31st St. and York Rd.) every year but not sure of the dates... If ever there's a time and place to get your Scottish on in the Chicago metro area that's probably it!
ReplyDeleteI actually quite enjoy haggis-- at least I did the one time I had it (at a Scottish pub in Ottawa, ON a few years ago). It tastes kind of like how meatloaf would taste if you used all organ meats instead of just ground hamburger. Pouring a small dram of scotch over it certainly didn't hurt it any either.
I've been meaning to get myself to one of the local highland games events, and alas something comes up or I forget entirely.
ReplyDeleteI've been looking at the menus of several pubs in the area and in Chicago trying to find the more authentic ones...I always involuntarily cringe when I see shepherds pie made with beef. I'm sure haggis does taste quite better than it gets credit for, wouldn't mind giving it a try one day.
I've only found one Scottish Pub in the Chicago metro area. Duke of Perth, it's on Clark. It's predominantly bar fare but they do have Steak & Kidney Pie, Shepherd's Pie, and Wed. & Fri. nights are all you can eat Fish & Chips nights... I know Fish & Chips is more a British thing, but it's not exclusive to England-- the Scots dig their Fish & Chips too. They also have the largest selection of single malt Scotches in the Chicago metro area (which is great if you're a Scotch drinker-- I'm not) and a really good Scottish beer selection (McEwan's & Belhaven in bottles and on tap).
ReplyDeleteAll that said though, the Scottish pub I went to in Ottawa was much more authentic Scottish than Duke of Perth. I could be wrong but I believe Canada saw a greater influx of Scottish immigrants than the US did. Growing up as close to the border as I did I recall hearing about Highland Games a lot more... I also have a theory that Canadian English is descended more from Scottish English and American English is descended from a combination/mixture of British and Irish English. Can't really prove or disprove my theory, it's just based on personal observations over the years.
I've read about the Duke of Perth, and it's on my to-visit list on Yelp. Thank you for reminding me. I like me some good fish and chips on occasion--really liked the one at Claddagh in Geneva, ever been there?
ReplyDeleteI agree that Canadian pubs are more authentic. A friend and member of the organization I work with is Scottish originally, English by transplantation, and a Canadian national by choice.
I really enjoyed a visit at a pub in Vancouver last winter, good food.
Since I'm not a beer drinker, and haven't tried scotch, I'm glad most places have some hard cider on hand ;o) I'm venturing for a first gin and tonic in the near future, will see how that works out. ^_^
Speaking of gin & tonics-- one of the best gins I've ever had is Scottish-- Hendrick's. The trick with Hendrick's & Tonic is to use a slice of cucumber instead of a slice of lime.
ReplyDeleteAbout 6 years ago or so, I'd never had gin but had a strange inexplicable urge to try it on my way home from work one Friday. So I stopped off at Sam's Club and bought a bottle of Tanqueray. I've been hooked ever since (although I tend to shy away from Tanqueray in favor of Bombay Sapphire, Hendrick's, or even Beefeater). I'm not a heavy drinker, but when I drink cocktails/mixed drinks, G&T's are my first choice.
Rock on! Great tips, as always! Thanks :)
ReplyDelete