7.21.2012

The Morton Arboretum and the Theatre-Hikes Company

I went to my first theater hike of the season, Hound of the Baskervilles, presented by Theatre-Hikes again at The Morton Arboretum. It was AWESOME.

Notwithstanding a little hot and damp, it was mostly shady, and no skeeters to bug one as I sat and viewed a great show of a great favorite.

The hike was healthy, I believe they've expanded that portion of the program. Which is always a plus. Alas, I didn't wear my blister relief cream and got a couple of unpleasant souvenirs! Oh well.

Also got to spy a bride getting some snaps taken around Thornhill on the Arboretum grounds, then a separate wedding party near the visitors' center preparing to dine post-event. Two weddings in one day! Good for the Arboretum. Lovely locale for any celebration.

I can't wait for the rest of the theatre hike season's shows: Wind in the Willows, The Tempest, and Curse of the Werewolf.

Love, love, love.

To learn more about The Morton Arboretum you can check out their website, and to learn more about the independent Theatre-Hikes company you can check out their website. Let's support the arts!

5 comments:

  1. Check out our other venues as well. Theatre-Hikes performs all over Chicagoland to bring our outdoor walkig theatre to as many people as possible, not just those with cars and money enough to go to the Morton Arboretum. We have free performances in the city, and don't belong to The Arboretum. WWW.Theatre-Hikes.org. Morton pays us about 3/4 of our production costs and then sells tickets to profit from our shows. If you love us, we wihld appreciate any donation to cover the rest of our costs or help us with our free performances. I'm so glad you enjoyed the show!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bradley, thanks for taking the time to post more information about the Theatre-Hikes company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there any way to put our name in your review so we can use it on grant applications? T & H are capital, it's plural and always has a hyphen: "Theatre-Hikes' season of shows" for example. What's most important, though, is that you enjoyed yourself and publicized your review. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

      Delete
  3. You're welcome, and thank you for the wonderful review!! I'm sorry that there was confusion over who was producing the show. We try to make it clear that Theatre-Hikes is a separate organization, but much of the printed material at The Morton Arboretum clouds the actual situation. I wish we could use your review in future grant applications, but we aren't mentioned in it, only The Morton Arboretum. Our name is always capital T and Capital H always plural with a hyphen: Theatre-Hikes. We are severely hurting for money this year. We lost our rehearsal and storage space with North Lakeside Cultural Center when the Chicago Parks district decided to not renew their lease and kick them out. We now pay 4-5 times what we use to pay for rehearsal and storage space, but we still continue to pay our actors. Morton was nice enough to give us extra money per show, but they couldn't afford nearly enough to cover the increase in costs. I encourage you and your audience to check out our page and come see any of our shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bradley, just to clarify, I've always known the Theatre-Hike company is independent and completely unrelated to the Morton Arboretum. I'm very sorry to hear that, being located in downtown Chicago has proven challenging, and further adding insult to injury with the the Chicago Park District disrupting the space lease. I hope things turn around for you guys in the year ahead.

    ReplyDelete