6.28.2013

Review: Man of Steel Movie

I treated myself to a matinee at my fave movie theater last Saturday afternoon. I was very much looking forward to seeing Man of Steel because they filmed a bit of it in Plano, which is just west of where I live.

borrowed from Wiki
All around, I enjoyed the character development. Although today's movies tend to get lost in technology and special effects, it's very nice to see actors build their characters for the audience.

I also enjoyed the landscape of Smallville, Kansas. I don't know why but I'm a HUGE fan of rural scenery in films. Perhaps because it reminds me of a place I lived in for a couple of years in the late 1990s.

Krypton was quite a unique looking planet in this filmed rendition. A combination of steampunk, space technology, and medieval culture combined to create a fascinating, and sometimes awe-inspiring, action.

It was so much fun to see Diane Lane and Russell Crowe. Diane is one of my favorite actresses because of her expressive face and eyes. Russell Crowe was restrained and pensive. Something I haven't seen him be.

Our Man of Steel, Henry Cavill, did a good job! He portrayed well the character's challenge of being both alienated but fair. I saw a certain genuiness in how this actor portrayed the character, and he reminded me a lot of Chris Reeves' own portrayal.

It was especially nice seeing three rather strong (in some respects) female characters in the same movie where the protagonists are typically a macho hero and antihero.

All around a blow-em-up-first-and-ask-questions-later type of movie. In a very Michael Bay and Transformers kind of way, at times a little exhausting. But the action, complex story line, and combination of culture clash and scenery made for a very nice and entertaining movie, at least in my eyes.